Sunday, February 8, 2009

Etiquette

I am not one to expect my kids to be seen and not heard. But I dream of the day when my kids will know the difference between finger food (e.g. tacos) from meals requiring proper flatware (e.g. spaghetti) without maternal interference.

As I am an eternal optimist (most days), I remind myself, today, that I MUST MAKE SURE THEY KNOW :

  • To wait before everyone had been served at the table before digging in (we'll work on the "hot plate" exception as we go along).
  • When trying to get in or out of a store (or other public venue), be sure to hold the door for the person following you, or the person passing you. And be sure to say "you're welcome", especially loud if they haven't thanked you (who said good manners and attitude were incompatible!).
  • When you call someone on the phone, DO NOT say "who is this?" to the person answering you. Introduce yourself first, and politely request the person you wish to talk to. DO NOT mumble - speak clearly. This is a great opportunity to apply cross-curricular competencies : "Please" and "Thank you" can be used on the phone TOO !
  • On the subject of phone calls, 911 is for EMERGENCIES ONLY. If you feel like chatting with someone, CALL GRANDMA!!! (remember, Zack ?)

No comments:

Post a Comment