Saturday, February 7, 2009

How specific ?

In the summer of 2008, in the middle of what seemed like a never-ending heat wave, I felt a storm coming. Literally... A thunderstorm was definitely on it's way. Feeling the wind pick-up, and seeing the clouds moving in, I asked my 13-year-old son to run upstairs and shut the windows. And that was when I discovered I was failing at parenting.



He looked at me, eyes wide opened, and said “I don't know how” ! I took a deep deep breath and said “Approach the window and puuuuuulllll down!”. I never thought I'd have to be THAT specific !

OK, I realise I was getting “'tude” from a teenager in bloom, who actually knew how to close the darn windows. But this event caused me to reflect on what I had taught my kids so far, and what I had not.... yet ! (forgot to ? assumed they knew ? did not think it mattered ?) .

So, I set on making sure that, as my three kids grew older, they knew everything they ought to know to get away with LIFE!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'm now up-to-date with your posts... You clearly have a talent for writing, and you crack me up! You're like a book I just discovered and can't put down. French or english... I'll be following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooo... I'm all hot and bothered from my first comment on this blog ;-) Bienvenue!

    ReplyDelete